Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Support  ~  empty server list

dawg
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
mine and my sons system share dsl connection. mine is showing available public servers, his is not. Any clues?
He loves to play this, I will have more fun if we play it together age 54 and age 13.
nice job y'all.
DAWG
NoMercy
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Check to see if the windows firewall is blocking it maybe? Quick way of checking is disabling it.
dawg
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
closed it down (much to "windows displeasure"), but no luck.
Dracus
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Sounds strange. Try to connect manually to a server, look up an IP (written in the server info window) on the computer that get the server list and then add it (next to the add ip button) on the other computer. Would probably not work but why not try. Have you played a lan game with each other?

And you don't have any other firewalls or something that blocks non standard ports?

JSHC
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I have the same problem, first i thought it was the router, but then I tried connecting directly through the modem, still no change.
creamola
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
In order to debug this we need you to check something.

Immediately after starting CI and reaching the lobby (past the title screen), take down the console (ยง or ~ key) and check wether you received a master challenge or not. It should say "new master challenge: " followed by a number which indicates that you are able to contact the master server which is the one keeping track of the server lists.

Let us know if you properly received the master challenge and still can't see any servers or if you didn't receive the challenge at all.

dawg
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
nothing on there says "master challenge" last post was "CL_Init : Starting up client done". I appreciate the great support.
JSHC
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Same here, nothing like "Master challenge", and yes, I have checked the whole console (including scrolling up and down)
creamola
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Ok then looks like you aren't able to establish any connnection at all.
Master challenge always shows up right beneath the CL_Init message so you don't need to scroll the entire console every time.

We are currently looking into the network code to see if we do something while binding the sockets that might collide with something else in windows.

I have tested running the game under Vista, behind a software firewall, behind a router hardware firewall and behind a NAT all at the same time without any problems connecting, so unfortunately it seems like this is a non general bug and might take some time to find.

Finding bugs that we aren't able to reproduce ourselves is a pain so I hope you'll have some patience with us.

dawg
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
take your time, I understand. the system with no probs is running vista, the one having trouble is running xp home with sp2. if that helps. we share printer, and play other games all the time. have fun.
Taza
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 17 Location: South Australia, Australia
make sure that the firewall isn't blocking anything (I'm sure many people can relate to that problem). Is vista connected to the internet and then sharing it to the XP computer? or is it on a network with both computers connected? Vista can be very buggy with networking to XP sometimes.
dawg
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
both computers are connected. I disabled the firewall totally and still nothing. installed your newest Ver. and no luck. is there a port to confirm that it is open? If so, instructions on openning it would be appreciated.
JSHC
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's the firewall that is blocking, probably something else, but at the same time it shouldnt be something in the code since the problem is that rare.
coorn
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
GOOD NEWS! This problem is probably fixed in 1.10b! 1.10b will be out in a few days.

Thank you all!

And a special thanks to JSHC for trying all my different attempts of fixing it Smile