Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Some Suggestions.

NoMercy
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hello there! First of all I want to say I love your game, and I am trying to bring some players from other games I play into this.

I know this game is still early in development so I wont be too picky.

First suggestion I would like to make is that in-game chat text should be smaller. I think the neat grimy looking font should stick to game related text only, and leave the chat to something like arial, and much smaller.

Second thing I would say is display the usernames when you hover over an enemy.

Another thing I would like to see is slightly less gravity, or simply more power to your jump, the gravity is a bit too strong for jumping around over heavily destroyed terrain. Sure I could use the dirt gun, but I would like to run around a bit without clipping on a wall Razz

I think that's it for now, I hope to see some more players as this game develops, good job so far!
Vesuvius
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Also, CR rounds should end when it's impossible for one team to win. It's pointless to play them out if there aren't sufficient points remaining to retake the lead.

Also, in CR, you can build a mound high enough to block out the beacon. Makes it impossible to find the guy if he closes himself off underneath.

And, better alt tab support would be nice Razz .
creamola
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Hey, we're glad that you like the game.

Smaller In-game chat has been suggested by several people so in the upcoming patch we're going to be using a smaller font.

Due to the few possibilities of models that the opposing player appear in I can't do anything but agree with your suggestion. I feel too that I oftenly would want to know which opponent I'm aiming at prior to killing / getting killed by the player. I'll make sure that we discuss about adding it during our next meeting.

We are probably going to release a few tutorial vids soon showing how to move around the surface most efficiently. In some situations there are ways to be able to reach ares without using the dirtgun. We have tried higher gravity before and it made the game too slow and the people jumping too easy to target.

CR rounds don't count best out of 100, they count first team to reach 100. This means that you could potentially have a 99 - 99 situation.

For the next patch we are changing so that during CR, the crystal will always be visible on the radar no matter which team currently holds it. This should make it easier finding it.

Agreed on the alt + tab. Currently the only way to tab out is by doing r_fullscreen 0 and then r_restart 1 (aka. switch to windowed mode)

Vesuvius
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the way to get around the jumping issue is rather than improving jumping, make the maximum incline a character can walk on a little steeper. Maneuvering gets really ridiculous when you're in areas that have been completely dirtgun spammed.
coorn
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
All the stuff besides lower gravity is now fixed in 1.1.

1.1 will be out in a few days.

Thx a lot for the feedback!
NoMercy
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I understand why you wouldn't want lower gravity, I wouldn't either. It's annoying to dodge around like that. Perhaps have something like the old sidescrollers used to have. If you tap the jump button it's just a regular jump, but if you hold it down your jump speed is increased to 10 for example. It's not necessarily lowering the gravity, and you can still do regular bunny hops Very Happy

EDIT: Oh and another thing, I think in crystal rounds the crystal should be a neutral colour, rather than blue. Maybe green or yellow.
creamola
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The colour of the crystal itself is purple so I guess you are referring to the beacon around it.

The beacon is blue when the blue team has it/was the last team to have it.
The beacon changes to red when the red team has it.
This is so that you could easily spot if there's a friend or an enemy carrying the crystal.
To emphasize more that the colours actually are related to the team colours we are probably going to create a third neutral colour to be used when the crystal is on the ground i.e. no team owns it.

Mr.Martin
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the thought of building up a powerful jump, then ran with the idea of a power-up ability to let you walk on any surface and ignore gravity while there's contact, like the A's in AvP! Wonder if there's been talk of a grappling hook yet.. (also, from recent experiences, some Hugo's need a spider-sense too, poor guys don't know i just touched the back of their noggin with my space hatchet)
creamola
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
We've actually played with the thought of adding a gravity that behaves similarly to the A's as you so described it. Having it as a powerup instead of an entire map with those properties would be kinda neat as it would actually help people having trouble using the dirtgun properly while at the same time giving some benefits to more skilled players as they migh tutilize it in new ways.
I'm not so sure it's easy combining that kind of gravity in the engine as it is now though. Still, definitely something we'll look into.

Ye theres always alot of Hugo's on the servers that, from the look of it, never seems to have played a multiplayer FPS before. I do wonder how they seem to stumble upon this game in the first place.
We might put in a foot step sound to help players to be more aware of their surroundings.