Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Linux Support Please?

lakota.james
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
Please, Please port the client to Linux! This looks like a really cool game, but I am using Linux and therefore not able to play Crying or Very sad. I would love you all forever if you would port it. I wouldn't normally ask, but it is apparent that at least one of the developers has some Linux experience because of the server.
coorn
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
I would love to port client it to Linux, but it is not a high priority. Might do it in the summer if I got the time.

I would also love to port i to Mac but the problem is that I don't have one Wink
lakota.james
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for considering it.
Silverfish
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I also want it for Linux Smile .
linux
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Please release on linux - if you do it over the summer your game might make inclusion to the next Ubuntu release (8.10) =)

I think this must be like Tribes... can't wait to play.

Just another reason to get you enthused - there are a number of great games for linux - but every new game gets a storm of publicity.

If you wanted to go open source, you'd also find lots of existing great programmers already interested in helping out new games on linux.
coorn
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks for the encouragements Smile I will strongly consider it. I'm out of town the first weeks of the summer, so I will probably start working on it in the second half of the summer.
Daerik
Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Today I received my Maximum PC magazine and was excited to see some free full version games included on the CD. However I am rather disappointed that I am unable to install Celestial Impact because I run Linux. I tried installing it with Wine, but no success.

Is there any word on porting this over to Linux?

If you do port this over to Linux, and maybe even open up the source code, I think that you'll find that many Linux users are fiercely loyal to organizations that support them.

I'll keep checking back periodically. It would be way cool if you are able to make this work in Linux.
creamola
Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Unfortunately our programmer Coorn did not have the amount of free time that he expected to have and was too busy working combined with studying. I know he did prepare some stuff for the port so we can only hope that he'll be able to spare some time this winter to complete the port.

The server can already be run in linux so it is only aa matter of porting the client.