Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  General  ~  A really great game.

Dan
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Just had a go with this, I played for about 5 minutes and nobody joined, which is a shame, but I've done quite a lot in C++ in the past and all I've done is simple console games, what you've achieved is very admirable!

I really love the song, anywhere to get that?

Also, I hope you continue to work on this and get more players!
creamola
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
I'm glad you liked it Smile

We've been spreading this beta on a small scale so we could test the servers, so not too many people know of the game yet.
For our next beta version we intend to spread it alot more, hopefully making the servers abit more crowded. Also, we're working on getting some servers up on different continents so non European's will be able to play without horrible lag.

What song do you mean? The one in the promotional trailer or the ingame music when on a server?

Dan
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
creamola wrote:
I'm glad you liked it Smile

We've been spreading this beta on a small scale so we could test the servers, so not too many people know of the game yet.
For our next beta version we intend to spread it alot more, hopefully making the servers abit more crowded. Also, we're working on getting some servers up on different continents so non European's will be able to play without horrible lag.

What song do you mean? The one in the promotional trailer or the ingame music when on a server?

The music ingame, the sort of ambient track, it's really nice and well-done.

I really love how the engine seems to run the terrain deformation flawlessly, me and 3 other people dug into the core of the map and made a sphere and made a huge cavern and it suffered no lag! I really urge you to continue, I posted a thread in suggestions forum as I have some ideas. =)

There's only one thing that bugs me, there are too many stars that look like they were overexposed with a digital camera, it'd be nice to get it a lil more realistic. Wink
creamola
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
At the moment we don't have the music available from anywhere. However we might put it up for downloads on our site some time later.

The bigger stars you're referring to are actually made after real images taken by the hubble telescope, like the red one in this picture.
Since the light the telescope gathers travels so long it has to gather data from the same spot over a longer period which will lead to an over exposuring effect. How do you define stars beeing realistic when these surely overexposured images are the only thing we can relate to since we can't see these kind of stars with our own eyes? Smile

I suppose I could try tone them them down making them abit less opaque and maybe make a version with slightly sharper details.

Dan
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
creamola wrote:
At the moment we don't have the music available from anywhere. However we might put it up for downloads on our site some time later.

The bigger stars you're referring to are actually made after real images taken by the hubble telescope, like the red one in this picture.
Since the light the telescope gathers travels so long it has to gather data from the same spot over a longer period which will lead to an over exposuring effect. How do you define stars beeing realistic when these surely overexposured images are the only thing we can relate to since we can't see these kind of stars with our own eyes? Smile

I suppose I could try tone them them down making them abit less opaque and maybe make a version with slightly sharper details.

Well, our eyes don't see like the hubble does. Very Happy

What I mean is, you have normal stars, then tonnes of hubble-class stars, which doesn't make much sense, it makes the stars look unrealistic, I'm quite interested in astronomy, which is the only reason I've mentioned this.
creamola
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Thats what I meant. Our eyes don't see what hubble sees, but what hubble sees is the only reference we have to how some semi-close stars really looks like.

It would be really hard to create a space surrounding that looks 'realistic' for an asteroid in a place we've never been to. That is, unless we choose to only have black space filled with small white dots and make it just like seen from earth. In my opinion this would be rather dull and I'd prefer an unrealistic colorful space surrounding to a dark space, but maybe thats just me.

Dan
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
creamola wrote:
Thats what I meant. Our eyes don't see what hubble sees, but what hubble sees is the only reference we have to how some semi-close stars really looks like.

It would be really hard to create a space surrounding that looks 'realistic' for an asteroid in a place we've never been to. That is, unless we choose to only have black space filled with small white dots and make it just like seen from earth. In my opinion this would be rather dull and I'd prefer an unrealistic colorful space surrounding to a dark space, but maybe thats just me.

Fair enough, I was just making suggestions that's all.
creamola
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Dan wrote:

Don't take it the wrong way, I was merely trying to give an explanation for the reason we made it as it is now, I wasn't trying to turn the suggestion down completely. Sorry if it sounded like it Smile

Dan
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
creamola wrote:
Dan wrote:

Don't take it the wrong way, I was merely trying to give an explanation for the reason we made it as it is now, I wasn't trying to turn the suggestion down completely. Sorry if it sounded like it Smile

Okay. Smile

There were a few suggestions in another thread, one that would be really cool to implement is some sort of entity, like a star, that's close and bright to the asteroid causing it to have light and dark sides, but to do this properly you'd have to make the asteroid spin slower to prevent epileptic seizures. If you did this, you could also add torches so people on the dark side could look around, it'd make for interesting gameplay I think.
leavingeast
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Nice game! I really love it. And i also hope it would release a special edition that could run in my iphone 6 case leather case, then it would be great!