Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  My 2 Cents

Joudoki
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Meh, probably not worth two cents, but here goes anyways Wink

1) A melee weapon of sorts would be nice; perhaps maybe, you remember the melee weapon from the original unreal tournament? That could be used also to deform terrain ( and it doesn't occur terribly often; hence not causing constant updates )

2) Some maps on a bigger celestial body; I'm not saying you should rewrite the engine to support huge maps of whole planets, I'm talking about, perhaps just have a small chunk of a planetary surface; You'd still have your deformable terrain, and you'd still walk relative to the center; just, you'd be walking on a bigger body, and you'd be less disoriented.

3) Flares / Beacons - you can throw these around, bury them, whatever; the flares would basically just light up a small area, and the beacon would show up on your radar as a beacon or something.

4) Being able to adjust the brightness/gamma to a higher value would be nice; Seems like it's terribly drak most of the time ( yes, I know it's in space, but why not? )

5) I haven't played enough to know if this is in the game or not, but some capture the flag would be pretty fun.

6) Jetpack Powerup - Allows you to make short jumps powered by rocket fuel.

Great, unique game, by the way; I love the concept; hope to see it expanding in the near future Smile
Dan
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Joudoki wrote:
Meh, probably not worth two cents, but here goes anyways Wink

1) A melee weapon of sorts would be nice; perhaps maybe, you remember the melee weapon from the original unreal tournament? That could be used also to deform terrain ( and it doesn't occur terribly often; hence not causing constant updates )

2) Some maps on a bigger celestial body; I'm not saying you should rewrite the engine to support huge maps of whole planets, I'm talking about, perhaps just have a small chunk of a planetary surface; You'd still have your deformable terrain, and you'd still walk relative to the center; just, you'd be walking on a bigger body, and you'd be less disoriented.

3) Flares / Beacons - you can throw these around, bury them, whatever; the flares would basically just light up a small area, and the beacon would show up on your radar as a beacon or something.

4) Being able to adjust the brightness/gamma to a higher value would be nice; Seems like it's terribly drak most of the time ( yes, I know it's in space, but why not? )

5) I haven't played enough to know if this is in the game or not, but some capture the flag would be pretty fun.

6) Jetpack Powerup - Allows you to make short jumps powered by rocket fuel.

Great, unique game, by the way; I love the concept; hope to see it expanding in the near future Smile

I agree with all that stuff except the light, as there are no stars close enough to even make the asteroid lit up as much as it is. =D
Dracus
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
I think your suggestions are worth a lot more then two cents Smile, so here are some answeres.

1) We are working on a melee weapon that will probably also deform terrain.

2) Do you mean it would be just a part of the big planet? We will make larger maps but not doing the full sphere adds problem with edges (an undestructable wall, just empty space...?) that can make things stranger I believe.

3) The beacon can be really cool. Problem with flares are that light sources are pretty costly fps wise at the moment, but we are working on fixing that so flares might be nice later on.

4) We have a few ideas about the light of the world, I am not giving anything up at the moment but wait and see... Smile

5) CTF (or CTC, capture the crystal Smile) will be added, have any other gamemode you thing would work?

6) Jetpacks is something we have thought about but now you can "dirtjump", shoot dirt under you when jumping which will boost your jump a little. As a powerup jetpack might be fun to fly unlimited during the time it lasts.

Joudoki
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about how the limits of the build would work; Think of it being a planet like mercury, where the side facing the sun is incredibly hot, but the cold side ( which is incredibly cold ) is at leats semi-survivable. Perhaps, the bounding of the map would be where the dark side transitions to the light side, and you pretty much burn up because of the intense heat.

As for underground, maybe some sort of magma? Digging too far to one side or too deep yeilds a wall type that's glowing hot, and pretty much instantly kills anyone withing a few tiles and collapses a few tiles of the tunnel.

On an unrelated note, it would be nice to have a screenshot key that dumps the screenshot to a folder in the game folder.
creamola
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Joudoki wrote:

On an unrelated note, it would be nice to have a screenshot key that dumps the screenshot to a folder in the game folder.

You have that already, it's on F3 Wink

Dracus
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
A cold and a warm side is a great idea, perhaps we can do a really big planet that half of the planet is to hot to survive in and as the planet rotates that side moves so you basicly play on one half of the map but that changes with the rotation.

Some sort of magma in the core is something we have thought about, we might add it to regular maps if it works nice.

You can bind a key to make screenshots, just add:
bind KEY pressed "screenshot"
in autoexec.cfg that is in the root folder and change KEY to your choosen key like t, up or F2 etc. Screenshots will appear in a screenshots folder.

Dan
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The warm and cold side thing makes some sense, but the dark side of Mercury is FREEZING, it'd kill you from the cold, as Mercury has no atmosphere it cannot trap heat, Venus traps heat so much even the cold side would be far too hot. Though it would be awesome if you could work something out.

Also, I see no bright objects in the sky, seemingly we're just an asteroid randomly in space, it'd be more fun if you could have a solar system skybox, where the planets are unrealisticly close, and maybe you could crash into Earth as the round finishes, and that could be your timer.