Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Support  ~  Creating a Server

Dracus
Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Select the 'Create' button at the top of the lobby screen. Select any of the maps in the list to be played. Click the 'Create' button and you are hosting a server and also playing on it at the same time. The other options under this tab allow you to change some common options:

Dedicated Server: A dedicated server is a server that you will not be able to play on, it is just a pure server for the game taking up less resources from your computer.

Only LAN Clients: Un-checking this allows anybody to connect to your server over the internet. (Note: If you are behind a router or similar you may need to forward port 14666 to your computer for others to find and connect to your server.)

Name: The name of the server. This is name is the one that will show up in the public server list.

Password: Protects the server with a password. Every client wanting to connect to a protected server must provide this password.

Max Players: The maximum number of players allowed on the server at the same time.

Round Limit: How many rounds the crystal must be held within the team to win. Only available when Crystal Rounds mode is selected.

Time Limit: How many minutes until the map finish and the map restarting. (Note: 0 means unlimited time.)

Game Rules
Under rules you select which game mode you wish the server to be.

Death Match: Check if you want Death Match mode.

Crystal Rounds: Check if you want Crystal Rounds mode. (Note: this will switch the time limit option to a round limit option.)

Capture the Crystal: Check if you want Capture the Crystal mode.

Forge: Check if you want Forge mode.

Advanced options
A dedicated server can also be started outside the game which allows you to start it on computers without the required graphics card for example (a less powerful computer can host a server then what is needed to play the game). You do so by giving the flag -dedicated to the exe. For example if your path to ci.exe is "D:\Games\CI\" then you can write: "D:\Games\CI\ci.exe -dedicated" in run to start a dedicated server. Or you can create a .bat file within the same folder as CI. Having the text "ci.exe -dedicated" in the .bat file and then run it will also start a dedicated server. (Note: ci.exe works for Windows OS, see http://forum.celestialimpact.com/viewtopic.php?t=32 for running a dedicated server on Linux or FreeBSD.)

When running a dedicated you can configure it by changing values through the console. Some useful commands are:

map [agon | cross | fort | hyper | volano | yum]
Set which map that the server shall host.

sv_lanServer [0 | 1]
Set to 1 will only allow clients connected through LAN.

sv_password "Anything"
Set a password that every client must provide to connect. Default is nothing ("") which makes anyone able to connect.

base_rcon [0 | 1]
Allows a client connected to the server to change server values. If set to 1 remember to change base_rconPassword to something else then default. To change server setting when connected as a client you must first set base_rconPassword to the same as the server. Then you can change variables by first writing rcon before the command. Example: “rcon map agon” will set the server to run the Agon map.

base_rconPassword "Anything"
Set it to something secret. You also need to set base_rcon 1 to activate the rcon feature. See base_rcon above for more information about the rcon feature.

sv_maxPlayers [0-16]
Changes maximum allowed players on the server at the same time.

sv_name "Anything"
Change the name of the server.

sg_rules [DM | CR | CC| F]
Sets the game mode to Death Match (DM), Crystal Rounds (CR), Capture the Crystal (CC) or Forge (F).

sg_mapCycle "filename"
A server can change between several maps. To have that you write the map names in a file and sets the filename to this command. See "mapcycle.txt" in the ci directory for an example mapcycle file.

sg_roundLimit [0-999]
The number of rounds needed in CR for a team to win the game.

sg_timeLimit [0-999]
The time limit for Death Match, Capture the Crystal or Forge in minutes. Set it to 0 if you don't want an ending time.

base_timeStamp [0 | 1]
This can be set to 1 if you want to see when an event occured, each event will be written with a timestamp. Can be useful on a dedicated server.

sg_voteDisable* [0 | 1]
(* can be Blur, Createball, Kick, Map, Nextmap, Noclip, Restartmap, Rules)
Players on a server can vote for changes or doing the responding command. Seting this to 1 disables players to change the command on a server with the vote ability. For example you maybe want to prevent players to change the rules on the server, then set sg_voteDisableRules to 1.

Values can also be set when starting the server by providing the flag “+set variable value”, without the quotes, as parameters to ci.exe where variable is the command to change for example map and value is the value it should have for example hyper. Example:
ci.exe -dedicated +set map hyper

Last edited by Dracus on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 3 times in total

Dan
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Just a question, out of curiosity, I realize quite a few of the concommands are similar to HL2's commands, is this just a coincidence?

Also, thanks for this sticky, I now know how to get my server online, that was annoying me before.
creamola
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
No the similarity is not a coincidence it's there on purpose. HL2 used commands similar to Quake, in particular Q3. Since quite many people learned how to use a console from the Quake series they made some of their commands similar so that people would more easily feel familiar with the console.

We are also using similar commands to make it easier for most FPS players to find their way among all the commands. We feel it's better to follow the semi-standard that is already out there than to make up new names for commands that actually mean to do the same thing.

Zapy
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Not to go unmentioned but HL is based on a heavy modified Quake 1 engine that Valve Licensed from Id Software, so it came naturally for valve to continue with similar console commands in HL2.
Dan
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Zapy wrote:
Not to go unmentioned but HL is based on a heavy modified Quake 1 engine that Valve Licensed from Id Software, so it came naturally for valve to continue with similar console commands in HL2.

I understand, I didn't know that, thanks!

What I really loved about HL2 was how they added some really interesting console commands, ie ent_fires addoutputs, etc. They were really useful and fun to play with.
Dracus
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Updated with new commands:

sg_mapCycle
sg_voteDisable*

Drift2Cyber
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
sg_mapCycle
sg_voteDisable*

I try the sg_votedisable and it don't work. And i found a command wo_dump <filename> which save your created world. But i wondering how to load your world?
creamola
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Drift2Cyber wrote:
I try the sg_votedisable and it don't work. And i found a command wo_dump <filename> which save your created world. But i wondering how to load your world?

sg_votedisable alone won't do it, each vote option has a suffix that you need to enter as well (ex. sg_voteDisableMap). Type sg_votedisable in the console and press tab to see a list of which commands are available.

See this topic for a guide to loading a custom map:
http://forum.celestialimpact.com/viewtopic.php?t=34

Svendy
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
hey, my name is Svendy. I want to set up a CI server for the gameing community SteamGamers.com

i got a few questions about setting up a server:
1) are their any admin plugins for the game and is it compatible with any ban mangement site like globalbans?
2) can you, like when using the mani admin plugin, set up admins and server settings in .txt/.cfg files?
3) is there ant way to manage the server from a remote computer without entering the server?
4) is the game compatible with HLSW?
5) are there any way of making an MOTD or making server rules printed in the chat at regular intervals?

thanks for your answers in advance
coorn
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Hi, Svendy.

1) No, sorry...

2) Yes. Create your own config file (look at config.cfg as an example) put it in the same dir as ci.exe. Create a new config file called autoexec.cfg and in autoexec.cfg write "exec svendysconfig.cfg" (with no quotes)

3) Yes. On the server write "base_rcon 1" and "base_rconPassword mypassword". On the client thats connected to the server first write "base_rconPassword mypassword" and then "rcon my-commands"
NOTE: there is an issue with quotes when using rcon. To set the server name using rcon write: rcon "sv_name 'myserver' "

It is also possible to rcon without joining server. Use rconIp <server ip> <command>

4) No

5) No Sad

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Svendy
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the fast reply

since there is no admin plugins, then are there any commands to kick/ban players and have it logged?

also is the game compatible with eventscripts or ohter custom addons?
if its plausible to make a custom addon like a script, what commands and languages will i need to use?

is the list in the first post a complete list of commands?

also
[qoute]It is also possible to rcon without joining server. Use rconIp <server ip> <command> [/quote]

like "rconIp <serverip> sv_password blahhh"?
creamola
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes theres a kick command, a banId and banIp command.
Ban's are logged in a banlist.

The list in the first post is far from a complete list. It is only a list of basic commands that people starting a server might find useful.

In total there's so many commands that we haven't had the time to write a compilation with explanations for them all.

I should add the kick and ban to that list as they are pretty basic.

I think the rconIp case would look like this:
Code:
rconIp "192.168.0.1" "sv_password 'blaahh'"

with the command itself in double quotes and the password in single quotes since it is a text string. The single quotes are not needed for commands that take numbers as argument. I might be wrong about the ip requiring quotes as well, can't test that at the moment.