Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Glad I found this one....

Deaddy
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey gents,

Deaddy here ) Found you tonight via PB and DL the game from your website after reading up.

This is a fun game and has as much potential as it Now has character and playability As IS.

You can Hop in play a few rounds and go back to work or the movie you were watching heheh.. Done that before with another game. Or you can stay a while and enjoy the evening Smoking Dudes ! and um.. crushing yourself as I Do )

Things I like can be listed all night.

Some things I would like to see - Sure I understand not all is able to happen but.. here ya go )

Secondary Weapon. the Rail Gun is pretty cool.. shame the minigun doesn't have a secondary like.. Expend all ammo in One Blast. BRRRRAAAT Hello ) The Gren Gun could fire double shots or like 4 consecutively or Power Up a shot as we have seen in the Bio Gun elsewhere. I dunno but something would be cool. Aiming even as the Rail Gun? 1/3 more dmg ?

Beacon .. ok ok you found me ! I fell in a hole and was loading my Dirt Gun to dig out when POW! My beacon gave me away.. I had the Crystal.. I love that aspect. puts the pressure on! You can be Spotted! I think that can be taken a step further like always have the radar point to the crystal!
If everyone knows where the crystal is.. that can lead to defensive positions.. groups defending and attackers planning. Less time wandering on larger maps and Oh the Nervous feeling of holding that Point Generating Crystal !
Just an arrow for direction would do. I have no idea how hard that is to achieve but as a player.. I think it would add a certain... Edge.

Textures .. Perhaps this is about more maps but I find I am wandering more then understanding where I am .. which is harder with the cool feature of changing the map with the dirt gun. (Excellent)
Maybe have some landmarks like a huge Boulder, a gaping hole or Textures of the Blue area slightly darker or paths carved out that cant be changed. I know I am grasping at straws but to have to More points of reference...(I see the flags ) might be cool to tell me where to go. perhaps I am just old and slow heheh Tonight I had fun but met the enemy more by chance and the beacon. To know where the other teams flag was.. generally.. would be helpful when I spawn somewhere. Perhaps I am just asking for more maps.. I dunno )

Sound ,, That Drill now Scares Me ! lol Got drilled a few times tonight and when I hear it I think WHOA ! Make it Louder ) It is a terror weapon heheh It should be a High DMG item as it is pretty tough to get so close... but when you get drilled.. (dead) maybe some other audio clip in there like a metal sound Grinding !!! Just to add insult to injury )
I don't mean go all cheesy with sound clips.. but the events that you have.. like a Drill Death .. stick in your head for a few secs and what a mental mind job to hear your armour and bones CHOP )
Same with Rail Gun.. a one shot Rail gun Shot can have Ricochet sound or a SPLOOOOOSH !!! to accompany a death. For all or the client.. I dunno. makes it fun too. Armour drops collected.. perhaps an old Chainmail sound. I know there are Copyright issues but buy a few links of chain and drop em on a metal board .. record that and see if that helps ) I could go on specifically if you like but I don't have to code it all hehehe

TEXT .. my wife said.. Gee thats big text... I replied.. yeah I can read it without taking my eyes off what is going on.. she agreed. its a fast paced game so the size I think is Just Fine. Colours.. now there you might give some thought. Dead Messages.. might be all Red .. Crystal Collections yellow ... people leaving server .. grey as less important.. Your Kills could be Purple.. Something like that. All the same, it seems many players might stop watching it as they play. I dunno there are a few options.

SCREENSHOTS .. people love screenshots.. i do. I mapped my F2 and it works Fine. Though the tga might throw some off.. the easier the better for the masses. PreMap the screenshot to something..and a compressed jpg would be best. Again I dont know how hard it is to do but I like screenshots )
It would be really cool with names over head so I can prove I shot the Devs !! but not having names over head is kinda cool too.. adds a bit of stealth and I think that is better!

ReGen .. the Dirt Gun regens.. i think ? Health too could regen as it is often a pain to wander round pretty helpless.. with like 7 life as I did hehehe or did you want it that way? I dont mean a fast one but maybe 1 point every 5 seconds could be helpful. hehe nah it wouldnt..perhaps when in the RED... under say 25% ... get a 1 per sec regen then 1 per 5 sec until 40% and slow it exponentially. Might be a pain to do but there ya go )

Thanks for the cool game.

I spread the word a little and happy to tell you where in private. Send me an email if you want to know, private tracker that has been around for a fair number of years.

Tomorrow afternoon is Celestial Impact Day at My School !
I will be challenging a bunch of 11 year olds !

wish me luck

All the Best !

Dave
Deaddy
(I made that name because I was playing with my kids.. daddy... Deaddy heheheh)
Dracus
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Hi!

Was really fun playing with you Smile. Great feedback you have here, lots of nice ideas. I am sure creamola will give a longer reply to you but here is what I think.

Add modes to secondary weapon can surely be something, I would like the secondary for the Grengun to be like a rocketluncher, much less damage though.

The radar pointing to the crystal could be cool, I assume you mean in Crystal Rounds. That would certainly add an extra edge...

Sounds... Yeah I would love some more sounds. Will pass that on to the sound guy.

Different color for the text is an great idea. This is something I would really like to see as well. Then you can see from the color if it is something to read or not also.

Yeah screenshots. Output it to a jpeg would be nice, I find it anoying to convert the pictures after Smile.

Spread the word, the more people playing the more fun for everyone!
Thanks!

creamola
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Dracus is as usual right, my replies seems to have abit higher average wordcount.

The grengun used to be way overpowered a while ago. As of now it can still do pretty good damage but the problem is hitting your opponents when there's the kind of spherical gravity that we use. Best bet for getting someone with the grengun is by getting on higher ground.

As for secondary fire, it's something we haven't put too much thought on, but is for sure something that would add to the diversity of the game. We surely will look into this matter and see if we can find any fun and balanced modes as secondary fire for the weapons currently lacking them.

I agree with you on the crystal case. Even with the huge beacon, it is sometimes hard finding the opponent crystal carrier. The arrow suggestion might actually be pretty good since it wouldn't reveal the complete position, just give a general direction. The crystal is currently showing up on your own radar when one of your team-members are carrying it so the defensive part can still be done pretty easily.

It is pretty hard sometimes, even for people who played a map alot, to know where they are. This is mostly as you said due to the map constantly changing in ways completely determined by other players. The problem with large landmarks is that they are quickly destroyed or covered in dirt. Every map today already has distinct areas with no part looking like any other but almost all of them are destructible so it won't take long til they look like any random place.
There is actually a material that can't be deformed (the dark red-glowing hardened lava thingie) We've been careful not to overuse this material though, since we wanted the worlds to be changing alot.
Maybe we could add some more floating objects (similar to the flag-drones) that can serve as fixed landmarks and help guide the players to which side of the asteroid they currently are on.

Sound, yes we are still lacking alot of soundclips. Our sound-guy that helped creating the sounds we are currently using has been really busy lately. I created a few sounds and could for sure fix most of the things we need, problem is that I've been really busy too past couple of months. Thats the problem when you're running a small spare-time project, time. I'll see what I can do during the upcoming months. My hours will be alot more planned then.

I totally agree with you on the text part. Different colours for different events is something I have been opting for for quite some time but I've been turned down. Maybe now that someone else requested it too we can convince Coorn that it is really needed Smile

I don't really know why there is no pre-mapped screenshot key in the controls. I always get one since I'm executing my own config, but there should really be one so that people not used to creating configs can use it on a key too.
I'm pretty sure that we supported .jpg last year. I'm not sure if we still do or otherwise why it was removed. I'm going to have to ask Coorn about that.

Yes, the dirtgun regens ammo, but only when current ammo is below a certain limit. We made it this way so people wouldn't get stuck in holes with no ammo left (since holes are so commonly seen in this kind of landscape)

Health and armor does regen slightly when you are carrying the crystal. That way the crystal carrier is abit tougher to kill. Although I agree that sometimes it feels like you run around forever without finding a health-item.
Health and armor also degenerate when you have more than maximum regular health/armor so it wouldn't be all that hard to implement something that regens inverse exponentially. The biggest problem would be to find the appropriate time to start the regening.

I hope it went well installing CI at your school.
Did you manage to beat the kids ? Smile

Deaddy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey there,

Seems you guys have been thinking the same things I mentioned. Very Cool that you even find time to put such effort into this. I can understand how long things take to make work in all circumstances heheh

Soo.. at school I DL the pack.. install on the Teacher Machine - a Decent Rig ) and demonstrated the game to a bunch of guys. They were EAGER to get Rolling !

I showed them the digging and building and turned up the sound for the awesome gunfire.. lol THEY WOULD NOT SHUT UP !!

DAVE DAVE DAVE !! CAN WE PLAY???

Good Lord they were Excited lol

The student machines were another story though. The person who bought them chose Celeron with onboard Radeon Express 200.

OH

MY

GOD

What a Waste of a perfectly good PC Case. hehhehe Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Upped the drivers and got .NET 2 loaded on my test machine ... it Ran the game but as you would expect from such a low end machine.. it was a little slow frame rate wise.

Connected no problem.. data rate no problem.. playable but choppy on the test PC.

I am going to try a mid range video card and start from there. Confused

It is all about money. Not MY money lol but we did not plan to replace those clunkers till next year. hehehe

Anyway.. I am seeding on PB and another place and will be playing with my daughter who is in Uni for game design heheh

See ya on the Ball !

Dave
Deaddy
Deaddy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Also )

with a lot of players the Text tends to fill up the screen fast. I dont know what to do about that I mean you cant really decide how fast it disappears based on the amount of text.. can you?

Long Names means the message that "WHATEVERHISNAMEIS Returned the Crystal" doesnt fit in the screen.. well not mine anyway )
Wrapping would be nice I guess.. to make it easier to read. Or reduce the font for that. Would have to play with the size to see what works best.

If you are going commercial.. a tutorial would be cool. I have been playing with my sons for a few hours now.. online.. and new people like to be told what to do and how. If not a tutorial.. perhaps a short Fraps video explaining the game? I told a couple of people how to do what.. and they kind of enjoyed the explanation.

Character Texture. Yeah I like the way the chars are designed. My daughter mentioned that they look really cool especially when glowing (power up)
It would be cool to better see which way a person is facing. I mean.. if the back of the head was black and a gradient towards the front was there, one could see right away where the opponent was facing. Just a thought.

I like the game and have already enjoyed it with my sons and online Quite a bit )

Tell me to shut up if you like )

Dave
Deaddy
Deaddy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
oh and...

playing tonight I was just thinking.. with the armour reduction.. ticking away.. lower and lower..

would it be so terrible to START with 200 armour? I mean sometimes you get in or spawn and POP your heads off ) Yeah thats part of the game but perhaps with 200 Armour... one can have a fighting chance against an opponent who happens to be near you when you spawn. With lag and internet as it is... we dont always pop in and are active Right on Time.. if that makes sense.

At least with some armour.. that eventually goes away.. it might reduce the Camp Kills.

Just a Thought )

Dave
Deaddy
Deaddy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
oh and...

When the splash screen pops... the black BG and red letters... get a cool sound byte in there )

Something Asto )

When looking at servers.. one game type.. CC I think .. displays no RULES in the lower right panel.. where rules are usually displayed.

and what is the text limit on SAY: ? is it like 50 chars?

Dave
Deaddy
Dracus
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 03 Apr 2007 Posts: 54 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Lot of things... Will answer some Smile.
I also think the text is a little big, we have tried smaller and then you didn't see it so good. But if we try different colors for different messages we can also try to tweak the size of the text.

About a tutorial, I know nobody look into that before playing but we have a trailer on the website (under Media) that explains crystal rounds. The manual (included in the game) explains all game modes. So the info you need is available, maybe put it IN the game is the last resort...

I don't think you need a texture change for the characters, don't you see the gun they are holding and then know which way they are facing? That is what I see from a long distance at least.

Yeah I noticed when we where many playing killing people just spawned happend alot. I think 200 armour is alot and you really have an edge against all other when spawing, maybe have 50 armour or so would be enough to avoid spawn killing.

The rules text for CC servers is a known bug.

Thanks for all the input, we (all devs) will think about all this and then see what works and not.

creamola
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
We are probably going to make short tutorial vids to put on the website for starters. There we will explain things like how to properly use (and abuse) the dirtgun, how to take advantage of the spherical gravity making you move faster and mayber some of the basic rules for the game modes.

Starting hp/armor has now been changed to prevent getting one-shotted during spawn.

As it looks like now we are going to reduce the font size abit since it do take up too much of the screen.

Character limit on say messages lies somewhere around 120 chars.

We'll definitely add in some sound for the logo screen, once we find something that fits Smile