Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Navigational system needs improvement

Vesuvius
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
It's way too easy to get lost, especially with the terrain constantly being reformed. When people do get lost, the gameplay slows down a lot. I'm not really sure what direction to go in with this. NM said something about a 3D compass, but I've always found those confusing. Longitude and latitude might work. There are a lot of ways to go about it, you could even do a 3d miniature of the entire map in a corner that marks your position, your allies' positions, and the flag locations Razz. The main thing is, there needs to be a reliable way to return to exactly the same spot if you wish to short of memorizing the entire map and hoping it doesn't get deformed.
creamola
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
In the upcoming patch we have changed so that the crystal is always visible to all teams on the radar during CR. During CTC we added the team's home base on the radar aswell as radar entry for the teams own crystal.

A 3D compass would probably be more confusing than helping for most of the players. A 3D miniature could be doable, but do you mean you'd like the miniature always displaying the original state of the map or one that always updates to the current look?

Vesuvius
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
It would probably be better if it updated with the terrain. It might be a little bit harder to use for navigation that way but it would be less disorienting when the map is significantly altered. The thing with it updating is whether it should update with each change or once per spawn. If it updates the instant the map changes it would always give away construction and that may or may not be desirable(though it would be awesome in forge mode). I think it's probably more desirable than not for construction to reveal your position because that would reward smart, minimalistic construction over the sloppy spamming that is so easy to fall into.
NoMercy
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps a low polygon wireframe sphere. It shouldn't update according the the shape, you should still have to find the actual height of the crystal yourself. It should display both flag posts, and the ally crystal carrier, as well as your allys. You are always on top of the sphere and it rotates in the opposite direction you move basically. So it's like a top down view. If this doesn't make sense I could sketch it up.
creamola
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
I know exactly what you mean NoMercy. I suggested something very similar to that last year. I can't seem to remember why we never made it though, will have to take it up again.

Daemon
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of a map that changes with the terrain, but how about it stays as the original until you've found a spot where the terrain changes, then it changhes on ur map.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverfish
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Daemon wrote:
I like the idea of a map that changes with the terrain, but how about it stays as the original until you've found a spot where the terrain changes, then it changhes on ur map.

Werd, that'd be the coolest map system ever.