Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  General  ~  lag management?

Vesuvius
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
How does Celestial Impact deal with ping? I'd like to know whether I should be leading my shots or aiming directly at my targets.
coorn
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 23 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
All your own movement is client predicted, but not your firing. Entities in the world (everything including other players) are interpolated. You can adjust how much CI lag entities with the cl_pushTime cvar. This is a balance between choppy movement and lag.

Use cg_drawPerformance 3 to see the performance of your network connection (green is the size of the incoming traffic, blue is interpolation (lag) and yellow is extrapolation (choppy movement))

CI sends ~20 server updates per second to the client so in a prefect world cl_pushTime 50 would (50 milliseconds) (the default value) would create no choppy movement but it adds 50 milliseconds of lag.

The bullets you fire will be registered by the server cl_pushTime + your_ping / 2 milliseconds after you press the button.

So the simple answer to your question is that you should aim a little in front of you enemy Smile

Last edited by coorn on Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vesuvius
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a really good answer. I'll have to figure out a balance in the settings between how much I have to lead and whether I can see what direction I need to lead in lol. Does it save your settings after you change them in the console?
creamola
Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
All changes made in the console (or any of the menus) are saved to your local config.cfg when CI is exited.