Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Maps  ~  My first attempt at a map

Vesuvius
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
This is Hollow, or at least the first iteration of it. I'm under the impression that fps maps usually go through several versions. Here are some screenshots:

The exterior of the map is pretty easy to get around. There's a cavern and a lot of arches/bridges. There's a hollow path underground that grazes the core and connects the two crystal locations in CTC(these are pretty much on opposite sides of the asteroid). In CR, the crystal spawns roughly halfway between the flag markers, and red and blue spawn near their markers.
creamola
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Looks pretty good so far. A quite small asteroid that is more open than agon has been requested by several people so I believe you are going in the right direction.

Currently you have a large cave spanning around the core with no entrances/exits. People are bound to fall down there once some deformation takes place and with no visible openings, inexperienced players might have hard time getting out.
So unless your intention from the beginning was to create a map for experienced players only I'd suggest you add one or two slopes connecting to the outside. They don't have to be open, just some areas hinting that 'this might be a good place to dig if you want out'.
This was just a general pointer for making maps more user friendly. Since I don't know what target players you are designing for, the suggestion might not be suitable at all for your map. I'm just mentioning it anyways.

The key to designing a good map is to take alot of time to walk/jump around your map to get a feeling for the flow of the map to find out which paths players will generally take. Try to think in lines of "If players walk up this little slope, what do they see and where are they likely to aim?".

In a few places on your map you can find some odd pieces of dirt that are pitch black and not deformable. If you wonder why they are there it's because you happen to have some remains of a world material that you disabled in the world script. We will probably fix this so that players won't be able to make that mistake in a later version but as for now, make sure that you don't leave remains of a material you want to disable.

I tried connecting to your server yesterday but something went wrong with the map transfer. This should be fixed in the v.1.01 patch coming out today so that anyone can play your map without needing to download it separately.

Vesuvius
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought I got all the materials I had disabled :/. I also figured they'd default to the tridmood dirt if I disabled them lol. Time to go obsidian hunting I guess.

The core is actually really easy to get into or out of since the overhead section is often very thin. I agree that a path out would make the map a bit more accessible to newer players though and I don't see it being a problem for more experienced ones if I put it in a good place, especially considering the interior is already so accessible.

Thanks for the tips Smile.
creamola
Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Indeed it should default to tridmood. It will be fixed in the 1.10 patch coming anytime now.

Vesuvius
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
Ok I updated it. The core has been reworked somewhat to be a little less artifical(and to have a path leading out to the surface) and I changed the materials around because 1.10 made crystal blue the material equivalent of a chastity belt Sad.
creamola
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, crystal blue and the new crystal red had to be changed to super hard mainly for Capture the Crystal maps to work properly. We needed some solid ground for each team's crystal point.

Vesuvius
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
What exactly do you mean by work properly? Are there bugs associated with the crystals not being on hard ground? Or is it just so players can't do things like drop the crystals down to the core?
creamola
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Second one was close. The problem arises with the new linear gravity. Since there's no solid bottom, players would be able to drop their own crystal into space. Play the new map Donot in CC and you'll quickly realize what the problem would be Smile

Daemon
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
looks like a cool map

Halo Wars, coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr.Martin
Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
awesome

Last edited by Mr.Martin on Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
creamola
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like you pour lots of emotions into creating that map Mr.Martin Smile

I'll check it out later and get back to you with some comments.

Mr.Martin
Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
have been watching my soaps recently, but besides this tree map that still needs crystal points (and in general a point,) I am almost done with a second, similar i guess, map, a mushroom - taking more time with this, the first map I started and got out in one day, horay! but no more wasted time for me of letting go unfinished maps, that would be a bad thing, i may upset myself with this foolishness