Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Rewrite the netcode

Silverfish
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you rewrite the netcode a bit, I was playing with a guy the other day and in order to hit me he had to shoot like 1m in front of me. It's the same with everything, you have to aim in front of a moving target to hit.

It should be more like the Source engine's netcode, if you hit someone on your screen he is hit in the same place serverside too, sure there's a delay, if you go around a corner you might die after you're around the corner but for the enemy you wheren't around the corner yet and you might get pissed about that. But it's much better than having to aim infront of your target depending on your ping.

Just a heads up, this is very important for the fun factor, especially for people that know about this vs. people that doesn't. The guy that do know about this can just move around as he shoots not to get hit while the other guy gets frustrated because he is shooting right at him but without hitting him, while getting raped.
Taza
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 17 Location: South Australia, Australia
Source actually uses hitboxes that are independant from the model and can have you shot were you were ages ago (even when no one is lagging because of certain console settings). because the position of the hitboxes is sent independantlyof the model position.
Silverfish
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Taza wrote:
Source actually uses hitboxes that are independant from the model and can have you shot were you were ages ago (even when no one is lagging because of certain console settings). because the position of the hitboxes is sent independantlyof the model position.

That doesn't answer or argue anything I posted before so... What's your point?
Taza
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 17 Location: South Australia, Australia
My point is that if you shoot the model on your screen it does not necesserily hit the hit box. Which is one of the problems with using the setup because some people has slow internet or "rate hack" to make there hitboxes stay in there spawn location while they move with their model around the map. With high ping rates already you would have major issues.

You could always use a method which 'draws' the model on the hitbox so that they are always in the same location but it would require lots of extra work and probably increase the specs of a computer for it to 'draw' all of the models onto each player (extra proccessing to determine model location).
Silverfish
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It still doesn't make sense because I said "It should be more like the Source engine's netcode, if you hit someone on your screen he is hit in the same place serverside too" and that has nothing to do with the implementation itself but rather the idea of it, that the hitboxes follow the clients model and if you hit that one you really hit him.

On topic:
A word on this from a dev maybe?
creamola
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Developer Joined: 04 Apr 2007 Posts: 136 Location: Stockholm, Sweden
The word you are looking for would come from coorn.

Coorn is currently in Egypt for 6 weeks so youll have to forgive him if he's slow to answer Smile

If you're lucky he might find an Internet cafe and see it earlier

Silverfish
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh ok, then I'll just have to wait >:- ) .