Celestial Impact Forum Index

<  Ideas and Suggestions  ~  Mapping with blocks

Silverfish
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
How about enabling a mapper to add indestructable brushes (boxes) to his maps, with textures on? Now that you have linear gravity how awesome wouldn't it be if you made a normal map but people still had the ablility to add and remove dirt, I think it'd be a great way to make the game more fun because even though you can add dirt it would be much harder to get lost since you would be able to know how the map looked and recognize the wall textures to see where you are.
Or to make navigating easy even if you didn't know the map; make the (upcoming) radar map see brushes only.

Imagine the defending team blocking of some paths to their crystal and the other team have to dig through their dirt to get to the crystal. I know this is something that I'd greatly appreciate since I've been mapping for the source engines for many years.

I'm also just curious about how large you can make a map with lin-grav.

EDIT: Also one invisible type of box that the dirtgun can't be used on, to use as boudraries to prevent people from falling of the map if so desired.
Taza
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 17 Location: South Australia, Australia
Right no I'm imagining de_dust2 in the game
Daemon
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
i don't like the idea of indestructible objects. A good thing about this game is the ability to confuse your opponents. What you're suggesting would limit areas of the map as well. i believe landmarks can be incorporated, but should be editable in size and shape, so that it still fits in.

Halo Wars, coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Taza
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 May 2008 Posts: 17 Location: South Australia, Australia
the texture "red" is the strongest material. curretly it is partially destructible but not much. you should use that.

Also leaving the material number that you used out of the script makes it indestructible.
Silverfish
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
But you still get confused easily if the same repeating texture is used everyhere. It would be like your average FPS-fragger, but you can block of places and stuff. I mean, if it's possible to evolve the game and try new ideas I don't se why not, it was the same with linear gravity, that wasn't a part of the plan from the start i believe but they implented it anyways for the people that got lost on the spheres.

And Daemon, it's up to the one who makes the map how much he would want to limit the player, if he would choose to make a landmark of boxes then NP. The big thing about this is that right now making a limited map like for example de_dust2 like Taza suggested, IS possible, it's just that:

1. You wouldn't be able to see where you are because the textures wouldn't be distinctive enough.

2. It's far too hard to make smaller spaces that are easy to navigate in with just dirt, making a proper gate hole is impossible for example, because of the resolution on the dirt "grid", much more freedom of movement would be achieved with boxes.

3. The map would never be able to be enclosed for real because there's no transparent material to make outside areas, unless you want to make a big cave map of course (not very fun I imagine).

I also thought about landmarks Daemon and I thought that it'd be cool to be able to make and place static custom models in your map. But this is much better for that because this would take up much less HDD-space and it'd be much easier for anyone to make.
Daemon
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I just dont like the idea of limiting what a player can do. But if the mapmaker wants to do that, let him. All i was getting at is this isnt your normal, shoot'em an kill'em FPS. This one incorporates alot more strategy in how you build and play the map. You do make some good points Silverfish.

Halo Wars, coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverfish
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Very respectful answer, thank you.

But think like this, the indestructable boxes wouldn't be any different from the indestructable dirt materials. Though they would be easier to spot, navigate with and much more usefull when blocking the player because you could put a nice distinctive texture on it so he won't get lost.